Many patients ask me, “Why is invisalign better than braces?” (a very good question). There are various advantages and disadvantages to Invisalign:
1. Esthetics (Clear aligners are used instead of metal wires, so they are less noticeable. Many adults who work in professional settings find this very attractive).
2. Comfort (The aligners are plastic and thus usually have a smoother feel on the cheeks and tongue than braces).
3. Eating, brushing, and flossing are usually easier (Because the aligners are removable, they can be taken out of the mouth while eating, brushing, and flossing. Braces can trap food while eating and can get in the way of brushing and flossing)
2. You can’t pick colors (Sometimes patients, especially kids, want to choose colors on their teeth at their orthodontic appointment. Invisalign does not give them that option).
3. Compliance (The aligners only work if they are in the mouth. Thus, if patients aren’t disciplined enough to wear them “full-time” (all the time except when they eat and brush their teeth), the treatment won’t progress well. In this situation, braces that are glued on to the teeth may be a better option).